New Zealand General Election
This page links you to information about General Elections.
Speakers at the WEA
The Canterbury WEA is offering almost free talks on election topics in November.
Elections New Zealand is the official election site. It covers everything you need to know about voting, and how the election system works.
The last Election Day was Saturday 26 November 2011. Polling places opened from 9am to 7pm. There was also be a Referendum on the voting system.
Find out more about:
- Electorates and MPs
- Parties and candidates
- The Referendum
- Election results
- More information
- Historial election photographs
Electorates and MPs
Each electorate has an official profile which includes the previous election results, statistical profiles and maps.
Current local Members of Parliament
- MPs in Parliament - the full list of current MPs with their political biographies and their contact details.
Parties and candidates
New Zealand Political Parties’ web sites will have information about party policies and candidates.
Referendum on the Voting System
There’s a Referendum taking place at the same time as the 2011 General Election on 26th November. The Referendum gives you the chance to have your say on the voting system we use to elect our Parliaments in the future.
- The official site for information.
- Report of The Royal Commission on the Electoral System 1986
- Chapters are available as PDF: Chapter 2: the voting system [2.44 MB PDF].
- Electoral Systems
- At Te Ara The Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- Explaining the MMP referendum
- by Kate Chapman on Stuff.co.nz.
Enrolments closed on Wednesday 26 October 2011.
Individuals can check their personal enrolment details online, however the full electoral rolls are not available to view online.
Special provisions for Christchurch voters
Elections New Zealand made special provisions for Christchurch voters unable to go home or living at a temporary address.
The New Zealand election results website publishes the results of elections, by-elections, and referendum.
More information about New Zealand elections
The Elections New Zealand website features:
Find out more about the New Zealand’s government:
- New Zealand Government
- Our Internet Gateway list of web sites covering all aspects of New Zealand government.
- The New Zealand Election Study
- Analysing political behaviour over successive New Zealand elections.