The information in this privacy statement applies to personal and other information collected on the Christchurch City Libraries’ websites.
You can browse the Christchurch City Libraries’ websites without providing any personal information. Christchurch City Libraries’ websites do not automatically collect any personal information about you.
Site use information
However, when you visit a Christchurch City Libraries’ website we automatically log some non-personal information, namely:
- the IP addresses from which you accessed the site;
- the terms you used to search for content on the site;
- the pages you accessed;
- the last site you visited before coming to our site; and
the type of browser and operating system you use, and your screen resolution.
This information cannot be used to identify you and will be used only for the purposes of system administration, reporting within the Council, and to audit use of the site.
The Christchurch City Council is required to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993. Personal information is collected, held and used in accordance with the principles set out in that Act. In particular, the Council will:
- use personal information only for the purpose for which it is collected;
- retain personal information only for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected;
- release personal information to a third party only when required to or permitted to by law, if you have authorised the release or where disclosure is connected to the purpose for which the information was collected.
You may inquire about and seek access to personal information about you or request information under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 by contacting the Council.
If you think that the Council has breached the Privacy Act or if you would like to find out more about the Council’s obligations you can contact the Privacy Commissioner’s privacy hotline 0800 803 909.