Primary school children
This page lists learning resources for primary school children.
- Use encyclopedias and reference books like Britannica Junior and World Book Online Kids.
- Find out about ancient cultures and history with Early Peoples, learn about the environment in Living Green and explore the joy of Inventions and Discoveries with World Book.
- Busy Things, Literacy Planet and the TumbleBook Library all have games and activities designed to help children learn while having fun!
View our full list of the Source for kids.
AnyQuestions is a service for school students that has live librarians online helping them find and use quality internet sources for their homework. This service operates between 1pm and 6pm weekdays during term time. Many Answers is the database of answers to previously asked questions.
At any other time, students can get help from LiveOnline. This is an interactive session with a librarian live over the Internet. Get answers to your questions, get help using our databases and more.
Library resources and services
- Children’s collections
- What we have in our libraries for kids.
- Kids’ homework zone
- Fact sheets and web sites to help your kids with their homework.
- Learning Centres
- Learning Centres run sessions for kids at school, after school, and during the holidays.
- Reading lists
- Stories to read to your kids and get them reading for themselves.
Resources for parents
- Building literacy skills at home
- Tips for supporting your child’s reading development.
- Children’s picture books that teach mathematics concepts
- Use these fun books to support your kid’s maths learning.
- Dialogic reading
- In Dialogic Reading, the adult helps the child become the teller of the story. The adult becomes the listener, the questioner, an audience for the child.
- Starting school
- Some resources to help you choose a school for your child and get them ready to start school.