Name: David Hill
Date of birth: 1942
Place of birth: Napier
Now living in: New Plymouth
- What is your favourite food?
- Fried potatoes.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Sticking my finger accidentally up a stranger’s nose.
- How do you relax?
- Reading, Tramping, Astronomy, playing with my grandkids.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Various people in Scouts.
- What were you like at school?
- Small, shy, not much good at sport, though I liked it.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English
Most hated: Maths
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Boy from London, by Peter Lethbridge.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Albert Einstein the scientist.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Author: Maurice Gee
Children’s author: Joy Cowley and Margaret Mahy
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Because it means you’re making things, and that’s a great feeling.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- A desk in a small room, by our back porch. I sit looking at the neighbour’s side wall.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing: being your own boss; meeting other writers; meeting your
Worst thing: worrying about not finding ideas, and having stories rejected by editors.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- An astronomer.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- a. Read heaps. The more you read, the more ideas you get.
b. Don’t throw any of your writing away.
c. Start sending work away to places like The School Journal.