This page links to information and photographs in our collections about the places and landmarks of Christchurch.
- How to research the history of a house in Christchurch — where to look for information, and what can be found.
- Local history resources — an annotated bibliography of published sources on the history of Christchurch, Lyttelton and Banks Peninsula.
- Newspapers collection — Find out how to use our newspapers resources to research our past.
Architectural heritage and local history
- A to Z of our Christchurch places local history pages
- The architectural heritage of Christchurch
- Buildings — churches, businesses, and municipal buildings.
- Christchurch street and place names
- City of Christchurch European settlement: historical note
- City of Christchurch Ngai Tahu: historical note
- Early Christchurch
- Heritage Week 2007 interpretation panels
- Local history fact files — suburbs, people, houses and streets of suburban Christchurch.
- Public places — hospitals, sports facilities, malls and squares and other public areas.
- Tī Kōuka Whenua — Māori local history
Memorials, clocks, fountains and landmarks
- H.L. Bowker Fountain
- Bridge of Remembrance
- Canterbury heroes
- Citizens’ War Memorial
- Floral clock
- Jubilee clock
- Kate Sheppard Memorial, Oxford Terrace
- Peacock Fountain
- Totem pole
- Victoria Square poupou
- War memorial shrine at Christchurch Boys’ High School
From our Digital Collection
A selection of items digitised from our archives and reference collections.
- Several publications relating to Akaroa.
- A collection of historical maps mostly of Christchurch and Canterbury.
- Plans of Christchurch Buildings
- A selection of architectural plans and drawings from the collection of the Strategy and Planning Group Heritage Archives, Christchurch City Council. The plans and drawings are of a range of buildings in Christchurch, dating from 1909 to 1968.
- The Spur, Sumner : the property of S. Hurst Seager…
- A pamphlet advertising the auction of the Spur properties designed by Samuel Hurst Seager. Includes floor plans, views of the cottage interiors, and general descriptions of the cottages. 1914
- The Summit Road : its scenery, botany, and geology, 1914
- This booklet contains articles by Blanche Baughan, Leonard Cockayne and Robert Speight on various aspects of the Summit Road, with an introduction by Harry Ell, and a brief mention of the work of the Summit Road Association. The booklet contains illustrations, panoramic profiles of the Port Hills, and a relief map.
- Sumner by J.F. Menzies, 1941
- A history of Sumner, written by J. F. Menzies, Sumner Town Clerk, in 1941, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Sumner as a borough.