About New Zealand Index
A collection of searchable indexes related to New Zealand science, industry, news, politics and fine arts.
This resource includes:
- Index Auckland: a record of information about Auckland compiled from disparate sources;
- Index New Zealand (INNZ): 20 years of indexed records from a variety of New Zealand publications;
- INZART - Index to New Zealand Art produced by the University of Auckland Library;
- Newzindex: a record of business writing and reporting in New Zealand;
- Newspaper Index (NINX): the index record of the New Zealand newspapers that the Parliamentary Library compiled for 10 years before there was any New Zealand full text newspaper material online;
- The New Zealand Woman’s Weekly Index - 1932-1959;
- The New Zealand Herald’s classified personals from 2003;
- NZ Science: a collection of scientific abstracts back to 1840;
- Southland Regional News Index: an index of local newspapers and sources from Dunedin Public Libraries.
- Bibliography of Published NZ Family Histories: a listing of separately published histories of families with descendants in New Zealand;
- Bibliography of NZ Bibliographies: a listing of bibliographies published in New Zealand or about New Zealand;
- Bibliography on Homosexuality in New Zealand: a listing of bibliographies published both in New Zealand or overseas relating to homosexuality in New Zealand.
The indexes that make up the New Zealand Index can be searched together or separately. Please note that this resource contains primarily indexes and abstracts. Why would I use an index anyway? Finding business names and history, people's names and history are sometimes not easy to locate in a full text database and it makes more sense to look in a keyword abstract collection first. An index may go back to pre-electronic production of newspapers and magazines, and of course, sometimes the paper version of the newspaper or journal may no longer be available.