About British Newspapers 1600-1900
Access to one of the most significant digital collections of British historic newspapers and ephemera available online.
British Newspapers 1600-1900 contains over 3 million regional and national newspaper and ephemera pages. It allows you to cross search:
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection;
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers;
- Full runs of 48 influential national and regional newspapers representing different political and cultural segments of 17th-19th century British society.
This resources allows you to:
- View entire pages or individual articles;
- Save, bookmark, e-mail and print results.
The majority of the newspapers in this resource are from England, especially London but there are a small number of papers from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and the rest of Europe. Be aware that many papers borrowed extensively from each other, particularly during the 17th and 18th centuries, so there is considerable repetition, with provincial papers frequently repeating information in the London papers. Despite this British newspapers represent a gold mine for students, historians and genealogists.
Use the Topic Guide to learn more.