New Zealand Music Month
Our theme for May is music as our libraries become the venues for some excellent gigs for NZ Music Month. We are also offering a 30% discount on CDs in May.
The launch event on 1 May features The Eastern, Luckless, and Katie Thompson.
Bands and musicians playing include Doc Sanchez, Helen Webby, Carmel Courtney, and a special event at Aranui Library starring Merchants of Flow and Imprint.
- Explore our NZ Music Month events, brought to you in association with RDU 98.5FM.
Christchurch music lovers – get excited. Freegal is here. This downloadable music service lets you access Sony Music’s catalogue of artists and their works from A Sunny Day in Glasgow to ZZ Top.
The cool thing about Freegal is it includes the hottest, new stuff but also obscure and hard-to-find rarities.
You can download up to three songs (MP3 format) per week. Find out more about Freegal.
Our Music section contains treasures:
- 1980s Christchurch band posters
- The Christchurch music scene
- Māori music – Taoka Pūoro
- Gladstone Hotel
- Christchurch Symphony Orchestra
- Christchurch Town Hall
Auckland Writers and Readers Festival
Christchurch City Libraries connects you with the Auckland Writers and Readers Festival 15-19 May.
A team of librarians will be reporting back via blog posts and interviews.
It’s an opportunity to share in a festival of ideas and literature – New Zealand’s largest literary event.
Music in the Source
What is the Source? It includes essential guides and research tools like encyclopedias and dictionaries, online newspapers, music, video, audiobooks and e–books. All you need is your library card number and PIN.
- American Song
- Classical Music Library
- Contemporary World Music
- Fine Arts and Music Collection
- Jazz Music Library
- Music Online
- Naxos Music Library
- Naxos Video Library
- Oxford Music Online
- Smithsonian Global Sound
Music in pictures
Have a look at our musical images.
Picturing Canterbury explores some photographic treats from our collection.
Get the latest from Christchurch City Libraries
What’s on in May
Browse our Internet Gateway listing of events.
What happened in May
Explore our timeline of historic Christchurch events.
- Follow us on Twitter @ChristchurchLib;
- Visit us on Facebook;
- Use our RSS feeds – they cover a wide variety of newly available and updated material;
- Check our lists of New Titles;
- Subscribe to our newsletters to find out about what’s new and what’s hot;
- You can also chat to us through Live Online, ask your question online, or email the library at email@example.com.
Next month’s theme
In June we will go all wintry and look at winter sports and indoor pursuits.
Although we don’t archive each month’s theme, you should be able to find all previously published material by searching our website. However, if you have a specific request or need help to find what you’re looking for, contact us by email or telephone.